Creative Hobby Ideas for Moms
I’m a HUGE supporter of mothers taking up creative hobbies! Motherhood is the most rewarding job but it’s really hard! A creative hobby can be such a great outlet!
If you’re not sure where to start I have some ideas for you!
- Floral Design – Pick up flowers from your local grocery store (Trader Joe’s has the best flowers for the best price!) and start practicing! Find some floral inspiration on Pinterest to help guide you. I actually took a floral design course from the New York Institute of Art and Design (Use this code to save money FHDHZBFIJAG) It’s completely online and 100% worth it. I started a floral design business with that certification and it ended up supporting my family while my husband started school!
- Jewelry Making – This is a hobby I watched my mother learn while I was kid. She would get together with her friends and they would make necklaces and bracelets together. We would tag along on her trips to the bead store. It’s so cool to remember that creative side about my mother.
- Calligraphy – There are so many books out there that teach hand lettering! It’s a hobby that you can do anywhere with little equipment required. Plus you’ll be known for the cute gift tags at Christmas.
- Digital Art – I’ve seen people do the coolest things with the Procreate App! Look up how to videos on Youtube!
- Pottery – Take a pottery class! Something similar to pottery is working with clay! I’ve seen mother’s start their own businesses making clay earrings and hair clips! Check out Etsy for some ideas!
- Blogging – A personal favorite. Get started with a WordPress website! Document this season in your life so that you can remember it forever! I love blogging because I can share what I’ve learned and what has helped me with other moms all over the world. There’s also some potential earn money from it as well.
- Photography – Capturing memories of your family is priceless. This is the camera I invested in and it’s been easy to use. I love the size!! It’s been so fun to take it on all of our family trips!
- Watercolor – @CelesteClark on Instagram is one of my idols. She is a mother and an artist. She is incredible with watercolor. I would check her out for sure if this interests you!
- Cross Stitch – I’m so intrigued by this! I think it would make such a great mom hobby because its something you can do while sitting haha.
- Macrame – There are so many pretty projects you can make for your home or your children’s nursery.
- Graphic Design – Canva is a MUST HAVE for anyone interested in graphic design. You can make literally anything. I’ve made an entire ebook. I also make all of my Pinterest pins and everything for my blog through Canva. It’s so easy to use and they have pre-made templates that you can customize. I love Canva so much. I don’t pay for many subscriptions but I pay for this willingly. It’s so fun to create on there! There’s so much potential for things you could make and sell on Etsy too!
- Sewing – This is a hobby I have picked up recently! I’m self taught. I looked up videos on YouTube and purchased easy beginner sewing patterns from Etsy! I researched a lot before I purchased my machine and this is the one that came highly recommended. My first project was a lovey! I’ve since made a lounge wear set, bows, garlands and wall flags. Sewing takes a lot of patience. But I love having my machine on the kitchen table and being able to pick up a project throughout the day. It’s also pretty special to give homemade gifts to my kids for birthdays and holidays. A mom I look up to that sews is @RooneyClothing on instagram. She’s so inspiring and sells patterns!
- Embroidery – Get started with a beginner embroidery kit!
- Interior Design – Your home is the perfect place to start! Make your house a home by styling it the way that makes you happy. And switch it up every holiday! The New York Institute of Art and Design also has an online course for Interior Design (use this code to save money FHDHZBFIJAG).
- Make Up – There are so many amazing people you can find on social media that can teach you tricks and tips. Again, Youtube would be a great place to start for this too. You can find lots of tutorials. You could also look into Esthetician school or selling make up for a company.
- Nail Art – This can be such a cool side gig! I’ve seen mom’s take clients after the kids have gone to bed.
- Furniture Flipping – @AngelaRoseHome on Instagram is the queen of DIY home projects. She is a mother too and would be a great inspiration for anyone interest in flipping!
- Dancing – Dancing is good for the soul. I grew up dancing and it’s such a great way to release all of life’s stresses. I’ve been going to a High Fitness class recently that I love. You can find High Fitness classes at your local gym.
- Baking – I am jealous of everyone who has this talent. It’s such a special skill that can bring the whole family together. You can pick up a cook book, invest in some appliances, or join a class!
There you have it! 19 creative hobby ideas for moms and how to get started. You deserve to have something for YOU. Fill your cup and it will bless your life and the lives of everyone around you.
Are there any hobbies you would add? Leave your ideas in the comments!